Tuesday, April 1, 2014

HELL III

If you don't own this you missed out like I did. I somehow missed this even though there should be a copy out there somewhere with my name on it. MSW is a friend of mine and I've got to watch the progression happen through the years and this motherfucker Impresses the "Hell" out of me. Once upon a time My band visited The Burial Grounds in Salem Oregon and I knew nothing of the place besides the few cult-like things i was following around on the internet which wasn't much, All I knew was that members of the project Munn may be there and maybe I would have the chance to meet them and talk about "real underground music".

The Burial Grounds greeted us with open arms and shared the mutual appreciation and affinity as did we for extreme underground music. Little did I know we were playing in the PALACE of all things fucking heavy and amazing. This particularly small scene and crew are responsible for more influential albums and music than I could even comprehend,  or keep track of for that matter. Mania, Merkstave, Hell, the Fools, Will 'o the Wisp, River, LEECH, and there's so much more..

So one night after another awesome basement show we played on another northwest tour Iii was taken to a dark place of the backyard and given a blank white tape with "HELL" written in sharpie on it. I was told to keep this close and to not share with many others. Well, I held up my end of the bargain but I had to show the band mates that night on our rainy drive from Salem to Portland and we popped the tape in and I proceeded to have my mind blown for the next 40 mins or so... my only response? "That Motherfucker" "I had no idea". Turns out that was a copy of the HELL I tape. Since then everything put out as "HELL" has been heavily influential and crushingly devastating.

Now we are here with the the Third Vinyl release in the Trilogy of Hell, and my favorite release yet. I don't EVER want everyone to understand what I'm talking about here because that would ruin all this, but I did have to share my experience with not only HELL but this scene I hold so close to my heart...

HEY Salem friends, sorry to get all sappy on your asses but I had to. ... Fuck 
(My only complaint to you my friend is that I wish I could afford all of your stuff, but if I did buy it all I couldn't pay my rent every month, you fucker)

No comments: